2018 Official Rules and Regulations
• The judges' decisions and interpretations are final.
• Barbeque grills and cook-tops will be provided.
• Teams must be available to cook any time between Tuesday, August 7, 2018 and Friday, August 10, 2018
• Teams may not have more than 2 persons on a team.
• Each team must fill out the entry form completely.
• Each team will be assigned a day and cooking space for the preliminary round. Preliminary rounds will be held August 7-9 at 11:00 a.m. and Championship round will be held at 4:00 p.m. Friday, August 10th.
• One (1) team from each preliminary round will be chosen to move on into the Championship round on August 10th. Teams not chosen to move into the finals will become part of the People’s Choice Award on the final day of competition.
• Grills, utensils pots pans and food will be provided.
• Contestants can bring and use one food item of their choosing. All other food and spice items must be chosen from the on-stage pantry.
• All seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the assigned cooking space.
• Serving trays for Judges plates will be furnished.
• The bun can have the works on it. NO garnish is allowed in the tray.
• Contestants will draw for their cooking space. 1-4
• All entries will be judged in the order of starting time.
• Each team will have 60 minutes to complete their burger and one side dish.
• Each team will be allowed five (5) minutes after the 60-minute time limit to plate their dishes and take it to the judges table. A 5-point penalty will be issued to anyone that is late.
• There will be a secret ingredient each day of the competition. Each team must use the secret ingredient in their burger and side dish.
All entries will be evaluated on:
• Presentation (1-5 pts)
• Taste (1-10 pts)
• Originality (1-5 pts)
• Bonus opportunity (1-5 pts) Use of secret ingredient.
The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
• No use of any tobacco products while handling food.
• Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks, cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is required.
• Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
• Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the use of the sanitizing cloth at each station.
• After cooking, all meat: must be held at 140 degrees or above.
• All contestants will use gloves provide when handling food.
CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION (of a team, its members and/or guests):
• Serving food samples to general public.
• Use of alcoholic beverages.
• Use of controlled substances.
• Foul, abusive or unacceptable language.
• Unsanitary food handling of any kind.
• Only contestants, judges and event officials will be allowed in judging area during the judging process. No other activities are permitted in the judging area, during judging process.)
• TWO pounds of Ground Beef will be given to each team at start of each competition to make 5 burgers.
• Judges' decisions are final.
• If a contest or competition winner is unable to accept the invitation and participate in the Sturgis Burger Battle, invitations will be extended to an alternate selection.
• Compete for over $10,000 in cash and prizes in the local contest!
• Winner is automatically qualified to compete in the World Food Championships in the Burger Category where the Grand Prize is $100,000.