You’ve Always Wanted to Play Sturgis? Here's Your Chance!
We know there are thousands of bands across this nation who want to play during the rally, and now maybe you can.
Sturgis Rally and Events are happy to announce that we are now accepting Band Competition applications for the 2020 80th Anniversary of the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™.
Participation in this competition will be highly competitive for up-and-coming and well-established bands alike. Everyone has the same chance. All you have to do is get the judges to like your music. Boost your career to a National level by playing on the Harley-Davidson Rally Point stage in downtown Sturgis during the Opening Ceremonies of the 80th Anniversary of the Sturgis® Rally™. We encourage everyone who has a band large or small, country, rock, alternative or indie to consider entering the SMR™ Band Competition, whether you have tour history or not. While we encourage you to enter, we take all entries very seriously and ask that you enter with intention to participate. We understand touring artists life and schedules, we also understand that bookings happen well in advance, yet one of the first qualifications we impart is to determine if you are free on the opening weekend of the event, August 7 – 10, 2020. If you are booked, we will likely disqualify your entry. Our selections will occur in March, which should provide time to book the date if you are selected as the winner. If selected there are likely more playing opportunities at the event, possibly for pay as well although nothing is promised. We appreciate all the hard work and heart that is put into making music and it shows through very vividly!
BAND COMPETITION INFORMATION
The 2020 SMR™ will feature a band competition where the winner will get to play two 75-minute sets on the Harley-Davidson Rally Point Stage during opening ceremonies of the 80th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™
- Entry Forms must be received by March 1st, 2020. Click here for Band Contest Entry Form. Notification will be on or before March 31, 2020.
- The winning band will play August 7 at 1:00 p.m. at the H-D Rally Point Stage.
- The winning band will perform two 75-minute sets on the main stage.
- Each performing band member in the competition will receive VIP Passes to use while in Sturgis.
- Each band must be present two hours before the set begins for set up and sound check. Time is TBD.
- The band finishing in first place will perform on Friday, August 7, 2020 and possibly more performances during the Rally.
- Each band in the competition will be permitted to sell their CD’s and other goods at the Band Merchandise area.
- Winners will receive $5,000 to be used toward their travel, expenditures, housing and performance payment. (Any performances with other venues will be made separately from SMR).
Judges are all active professional music performers and tour personnel with over 100 successful tours to their names. They are from different genre and backgrounds.
Online Band Competition Application. Here you can electronically fill out the application and submit your band's music. Please fill out the form below and upload your music (mp3 files only).
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org