33 miles/approximately ½ hour
Your Sturgis adventure isn’t complete without a stop in the Pierre area. If taking a route full of character and adventure appeals to you, hop off the interstate for a scenic backroads route to the Sturgis Rally.
- Exit I-90 at Exit 212 and travel north 33 miles on Highway 83 to the towns of Fort Pierre and Pierre, SD. On this scenic drive see the open prairie and rolling hills. Excellent opportunity to take photos with a back drop of wide open spaces and blue skies.
- Get a taste of the Old West as you travel thru Fort Pierre, SD. Take pictures in front of the “old jail” just behind the Log Cabin located on Highway 83 or take Verendrye Drive to the Verendrye Monument. From here enjoy the panaramic views of the Missouri River and the layouts of the Fort Pierre and Pierre communities.
- Back on Highway 83 travel east crossing the Missouri River to Pierre, SD. Your first right turn off the bridge brings you to Steamboat Park often referred to by riders as an oasis on a hot ride. Rest in the shade before getting back on Sioux Avenue heading east to Highland Avenue and taking a right on Capitol Avenue to the State Capitol building. Pictures can be taken in front of the Capitol, or enjoy the walking paths along Capitol Lake at the Viet Nam, Korean, WW I and WW II memorials.
SCENIC RIDE | Oahe Dam – and back to Pierre, SD
- Six miles North on 1804/20 minutes.
- Travel out of Pierre on Highway 14 and then go north on Highway 1804 to the Oahe Dam. It is an earth rolled dam dividing the Missouri river into Lakes Sharpe and Oahe. Beautiful views of the river makes this a great stop for a cool ride. Continue driving west across the Dam returning to the Pierre Area via Highway 1806.
- Cool beverages and the best food in South Dakota awaits you as you return to town. From steaks and walleye to Italian and Mexican, Pierre and Fort Pierre offer unique dining opportunities for any palette. After a day of riding, turn in for a great night's sleep in our hotels which offer clean, comfortable rooms easy on the wallet.
SCENIC RIDE | Pierre to Sturgis Ride
- 178 miles/approximately 3 hours.
After a restful and affordable night in the Pierre Area, begin your journey to the Rally. Don’t forget to gas up before leaving town.
- Traveling from Fort Pierre on Highway 14, head west. At Hayes, SD keep traveling west on Highway 34. This ride offers wide open spaces and blue skies. About 90 miles from Pierre, take a break on the Highway before the Cheyenne River. This break offers expansive views of the lake, and prairie. Another great picture opportunity.
- You are half way to Sturgis, take advantage of gas opportunities along the way at T-34 and Union Center.
- Continue traveling on Highway 34 west, for another 76 miles, you will see Bear Butte State Park. Bear Butte is an important landmark and religious site for the Plains Indians. A moderately sized herd of buffalo roam the base of the mountain.
- After leaving Bear Butte drive 12 miles west on Highway 34 and you will arrive in Sturgis.
For more Pierre information, call 1-800-962-2034 or Click here
- Oasis on the Prairie - Pierre Itinerary
- Spring Riding Itinerary
- Needles and Pig Tails Itinerary
- Badlands Itinerary
- Black Hills Grand Tour Itinerary